Monday, September 22, 2008

C@mping




















































































Yes...it's true, we got brave and went on a camping trip with the kids, just for the night though. This was our first camping trip since we've been married. I must say that I never truly appreciated all my parents preparation for camping trips, until now. It really is a lot of work! Anyway it was fall break so Josh had school off for the week and so our friends let us borrow their tent and we went to Pocahontas State Park. It was beautiful, but still didn't compare to Island Park! Within 5 minutes of being there, Teegan fell off the table and got a bloody elbow. He got over it quick though. He was too excited about the tent, the rocks & sticks, the cookies in the cooler, and building the fire with dad...or should I say attempting to build a fire with dad. Poor Josh was working on that fire for a couple of hours and it wasn't working out for him. It was humid and the firewood was moist. Then once it was getting dark, we realized our flashlight was burnt out...which I swear I checked before we left. So we ended up using a few tealight candles we found in our car emergency kit and also the headlights from the car. It was quite the adventure! Some friends also came over that evening for smores, which we were able to make with our puny fire. When we finally crawled into the tent that night, the kids were very wound up...Camdyn was even very excited to be in the tent. We ended up watching Toy Story on the portable dvd player and eventually they fell asleep. They both did surprisingly very well. Teegan stirred a couple of times, but Camdyn slept through the night. It was me and Josh that stuggled sleeping! It felt like I woke up every hour to make sure the kids were covered up and warm, and then I would check my phone to see the time, hoping it was almost morning. I sure do love camping...but sleeping is always rough! We had a good time. Things didn't go quite as planned, but at least it's something to laugh about in the future right?!

Oh and p.s. thank you Jackie, Doug, & Katie for all the scary bear stories before we left... I was thinking about them through the night!

9 comments:

K. Bitton said...

how fun! I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you guys can still go camping... Jeff would LOVE it if we could still get one last trip in:) Sounds like you guys had a blast! I was just thinking today that you guys might be coming out for Thanksgiving, and we'll have the baby by then! Keep us posted on your plans so we can get together! Miss you!

Michelle said...

Brittany, you are brave! It looks like you had a good time.Too funny about your "lighting"! My favorite picture is the one of Teegan and Camdyn on the chairs. SO cute! I love how kids come to realize how much work their parents put into going on a trip. :)

Nanette Hirschi said...

I am so proud of you for doing a camping trip! It is a lot of work...and the worst part was getting home...all the laundry, the dirty car, the cooler full of food that was soggy from the melted ice, everyone needing to shower at the same time:) I'm so glad you and Josh are able to find time to enjoy life. Love you!

Danielle and Brian said...

Brittany, Hi this is Danielle Hone. This is all confusing but my husband Brian had a few classes with your husband at BYU-I and we found your blog. Brian has an interview at VCU in October and has been trying to find a way to get a hold of Josh. If by any chance you might let Josh know and have him get a hold of Brian as soon as possible that would be great. His number is (208)521-9821. Thank you so much!

Ulrich Family said...

I can totally relate to the sleeping. I do those exact things. That's great though you got to experience the adventure. It is a ton of work and I am so proud of you guys for doing it. Great job! Glad to see that things are going well for you!

the Murphys said...

You forgot the ending - no spatula for breakfast! :-) Sounds like it was a fun trip. You are much braver than I am. Girls camp was enough for me and I am way too used to the comforts of the cabin to try camping again. I bet it was fun to have Josh home for a week, too.

Shelley said...

You couldn't talk me into camping without kids, none the less WITH them! I'm IMPRESSED Brittany! :) Sounds like how a "fun" night! ;)

Alicia said...

Hey Brittany, it's Alicia Hinrichs. I'm going to start looking for jobs out in the west end, and hopefully start working 2 days a week when we get a place out there. I was looking for someone to watch Jonathan, and your husband told my husband to talk to you first, and that you might be interested. Anyways, I'm sure we'll see you guys soon for the next BYU game and we can chat then or my number is 804*399*0430.

Jackie said...

Tea lights?? Oh man, that IS an adventure!! I'm glad you made the best of it and I'm glad the kids loved it.

Oh, and sorry about the bear stories! At least we didn't tell you our snake stories too... ;)