Saturday, August 7, 2010

D3
Yay.. Josh is officially a 3rd year dental student! I was asking him how it feels and he said that he's already been a junior 2 times before (high school and undergrad of course...he wasn't held back or anything :) and he's now sick of it!! 
He enjoys school but will be darn glad when it's over! 
Some of our future dentists..who need some work done themselves. (Especially Doug!)
This semester is going to be another hectic one with book work and working in the clinic. He now has his own patients. (me being one of them.) It's pretty exciting..he's almost the real deal.

School is exhausting! I walked through the door the other night and found Josh in this position. Totally asleep. {Like father like son huh Jeff?!} Notice where his fingers are...

At the end of July..during his break, he went to Wise, Virginia to go on a M.O.M (Mission of Mercy) project. It is the biggest one of the year so he was excited for the opportunity. Dentists & oral surgeons from around the area volunteer to do free dental care.  The first night they got there a resident gave the students a crash course..and taught them how to do 3 different sutures on a slab of raw meat.

There were thousands of people who camped out and waited in line to get worked on. In three days they saw around 1,300-1,400 patients and did roughly 5,700 extractions. Josh pulled about 20 teeth (he tried to keep count.) One of which was a wisdom tooth. One of his patients had no teeth just roots that needed to be taken out. It was quite the procedure. Lots of blood.
Check out the pictures here if you want to see what it was all about. It is amazing and truly inspiring what they did for these people.

8 comments:

Hksedwick said...

That picture is AWESOME!!! I can't believe that you guys are 3rd years.

Katie said...

Oh wow, I love how josh is holding the remote-even in his sleep. So crazy they are 3rd years now. I can't believe how fast time has gone. We'll just have to make the most of these last 2 years!

Fisher Family said...

Great pictures! Hang in there Josh its a long road put you are almost there! It looks like your family has had lots of fun. Peach picking and the beach, fun times!

Ashley May said...

I remember when you moved... seemed like four years was a lifetime... hard to beleive he's already in his 3rd year!! That sounds like a really cool service project!

Do you guys know where Josh wants to work when he's done? Any chance Portland? Haha wishful thinking!

The Fox Family said...

BLog much? SHEESH!!! <3

Furniss Family said...

Oh my goodness, I couldn't stop giggling when I saw was sleeping like that and holding remote! So funny! I swear these guys get so worn out. Josh will fall dead asleep on the bed sometimes after a long day at school. Peach picking also looks like it would be fun. I'll have to get the address of where you go to do this, what a beautiful view :)

Nanette Hirschi said...

Way to be such a great blogger Britt!!! Makes me more homesick for my Miles family:( I love Josh's sleep position....priceless! And I still think 2 years seems like forever, but better than 4. I really like Ashley's idea of Portland...I could visit you and Chapman's all in one shot!! Think about it?! :)

Brianne and Imari Molifua said...

I miss you guys Soooo much! Me and Lex were talking and we decided we need to web cam soon! Somehow Teeg and Camdyn keep getting cuter and cuter, I miss those cuties! And poor Josh must be really tired to fall asleep like that. Poor guy...School will do it to ya! And I decided I'm going to move to Virginia...there's so many fun things to do there. I want to come pick Peaches with you guys! love ya!