Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Nauvoo

On our way to Virginia, we stopped at Nauvoo since it was only an hour or so out of the way. All I can say is that it was an incredible experience. It's a place that you always hear about, but you never really know what it's like until you visit. First we stopped to look at the temple, which was so gorgeous! We then tried to go on a carriage ride through the town, but unfortunately it was too hot and humid, so they weren't giving the tours. So instead we walked...carrying two babies. Whew! We went into John Taylor & Brigham Young's homes. The spirit was so strong. As you are listening to the missionaries dressed as the early saints, you can't help but feel like you were there at that time. We also saw Joseph Smith's home, but weren't able to go in. Josh & I would have loved to see everything...but the kids had enough. So we left and headed for Carthage. After watching a video about the prophet, we walked through the building of the jail and into the room where he was martyred. We saw the bullet holes in the door. We listened to a recording and the song, "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" was played. The feeling in that room was absolutely incredible. This experience definately strengthend my testimony of the early saints, and especially our prophet Joseph Smith. I am so grateful for all that they sacrificed for the church.


-Joseph Smith's home-

- This is a picture of the Mississippi River...it really is Huge! As you can see the kids were dying by this point, but it was SO worth it! :)



Inside the printing office. It was very interesting.

Sleeping Teegan & Josh out side of the Carthage jail.

5 comments:

the Murphys said...

I'm glad that you were able to do a little sight seeing along the way! It helps to break things up and what an amazing place to visit. I loved hearing all of Josh's stories about it. Now, mind your p's and q's! :-)

Cheryl said...

WOW I am so jealous. I love church history, but have not yet had the opritunity to visit all the sites. One day though. Good luck with school and getting life resituated.

Nicole said...

Yeah for dental school! It looks like you went to some pretty cool places on the way! Good luck with unpacking, I'm getting nervous and excited to move! It is nice to see that everyone in living through the changes though! Your kids are adorable by the way!

Michelle said...

How fun to see these pictures! We were able spend two days in Nauvoo on our church history trip. It was so humid and both nights there were HUGE thunderstorms!

K. Bitton said...

How neat! We want to go there one day too! You may have run into two missionaries, he used to by my bishop, the wildes??