Tuesday, November 12, 2013

"Bugs in my hair!!"

10.20.2013
The unthinkable happened!
Camdyn got head lice from school. Ahh! I get itchy just thinking about it. 
First off..I have to say, do NOT ever look up photos on the internet. You will have nightmares! 
I think I missed some of the symptoms. I had noticed that she was itching her scalp here and there. I asked her about it and checked things out and didn't see anything. Josh even looked at one point. I figured she had dry scalp and that I just needed to get her a deep condition. 

In the back of my mind..I thought what if? But no way. She is clean. I wash her hair all the time and I would notice if something was growing in there. Then Saturday night she woke me up in the middle of the night because she was so uncomfortable and couldn't stop scratching. 

That's when I knew. Although there was nothing to do for her in the middle of the night. So I took her back to bed and stayed with her until she fell asleep. I didn't fall asleep to quickly after that. I couldn't stop thinking about what I might find in the morning. 

So when we woke..Josh and I took her in our to take a look. It didn't take long to find creepy crawlies! 
I don't think her case was severe but it wasn't mild for darn sure. It was so disturbing to see Josh go at her head with the tweezers... pull one out and set it on the counter and watch it try to scurry away! Eww!
I wasn't expecting them to be so big..and be the same color as her hair! We decided we better check the other two kids. Max was clear, but Teegan had a couple. Dang! So I hurried Josh out the door and to the drug store. He came back with all sorts of treatments and sprays and we got to work. 

When her hair was wet..I could really see the little suckers. I'm sure they were having a hay day in her curls! Camdyn was so calm and handled the situation so well. Me...not so much! I think I screamed out loud multiple times that day. I was so grossed out! It took 2 1/2 hours to do her treatment and pick through all of her hair with a fine toothed comb. Thank goodness for the ipad and movies. I am also very glad that I cut her hair a month ago. While I was doing her treatment...my head felt itchy..of course. So you better believe I gave myself a treatment as well. Peace of mind. Thank goodness I found nothing. 

Josh did Teegan's treatment and then the rest of the day was working on heaps and piles of laundry and sanitizing..along with calling anyone who had come into contact with our kids over the last few days. 
It was a nightmarish day to say the least!
When I emailed my brother, Elder Hirschi..on his mission, I told him about the ordeal. 
His response made me laugh..
"Oh man! What kind of creepy crawlies?!?!?! I picture like centipedes and worms and maggots and all other forms of nasty!" 
Wow..I thought I was the dramatic one in the family! :)
I feel oh so lucky that somehow I bypassed this as a child. We have been through three rounds of treatments. I can't even tell you how much we've spent on all these products the last month! I just hope we are done and over it!

1 comment:

Fisher Family said...

I feel your pain. Some of my children got them when they were little and my granddaughters that live with us have had them. It's not fun:( Hope you are all done with them!