8.25.12
Number one on our summer bucket list was hiking to Table Rock.
The family did it a couple of years ago while we were away..and we wanted to experience it too. Josh and I haven't been hiking much..and this was certainly the biggest hike we've ever done. We were up for the challenge! We missed Lexie and Nick because of work and Brylee was so sweet to offer to babysit the kids. (Once was enough for her.) We woke up bright and early..left at 6:00 am. and started our journey shortly after 7:00 a.m. It was freezing COLD!
Our plan was to hike up the face of the mountain..and take the Huckleberry route back..(longer but not so steep.) We checked out the map and were on our way...
You sure can't beat the scenery..
We had a good time..eating snacks, chocolate chip cookies & trail mix..the perfect hiking snack, frolicking in the meadow, and enjoying the scenery. We thought we were making pretty good time so we weren't rushing it.
Come to find out...we were on the wrong trail! What the heck?! The news was deflating. We asked a fellow hiker and he steered us in the right direction. Mom & dad decided they would stay and have a picnic and then head home. At this point we were worried about the time..we rushed back down the mountain..especially Josh and Imari they thought it would be fun to get ahead, hide, and scare us. Instead Josh fell and bloody up his leg. I guess that's what you get when you're a tease. :)
We took a quick break, after hiking 6 miles...and we hadn't even begun the real thing! I already had a side ache. This time we knew we were on the right trail because we saw this sign...
It wasn't making me feel confident about our decision!
Right before we headed up a friendly couple stopped to talk to us. They said they had hiked partially up the day before and spotted a bear and her cub. They were so kind and gave us some spray so we could be prepared just in case. Landon was in charge. We later noticed that it was wasp spray and that all it would probably do is irritate a bear even more..haha.We sure gained altitude fast! Every time we stopped to look down, we couldn't believe we were already so high up. Definitely not an easy climb! It was plenty steep. The view was awesome but we were bummed at the haze from all the fires.
Josh was so good to take my backpack for me to give me breaks. We discovered mine was holding most of the water...so I can blame my backpack for being the weakest one. ;) I switched with Landon. The climb didn't phase him.
We had to keep talking and telling stories to distract us from what we were doing. It got hot and tiring fast. Brianne deserves the award for the day. She had some issues arise that I will not mention here.
We had to keep talking and telling stories to distract us from what we were doing. It got hot and tiring fast. Brianne deserves the award for the day. She had some issues arise that I will not mention here.
We enjoyed our lunch break. We actually got to sit and relax.
Looks can be deceiving here! With the Table rock in view..we kept thinking we were almost there..but we still had miles to go. I think it was at this point, just being the rocks where Josh & I really struggled.
Way up here I could tell the air was thinner because of how hard it was to catch my breath. At the end we seriously would take 30 steps and have to stop and wait a half second before going on again.
..But then we made it to the top at 11,000 ft with about a 4,000 ft gain in elevation from the parking lot!
We've never seen the Teton mountains like this before. It was an incredible feeling.
Even though I was warned, I was surprised by how narrow the table rock was. A drop off on both sides is an eerie feeling for someone afraid of heights.
..And then we had to figure out our way down. No one had a watch. Thank goodness for boyscout Landon who would look at the sun and predict the time. :) Our worry was getting back before it got too dark.
We passed meadow after meadow and it seriously took forever to get back. This was our last look of Table Rock. It looked so teeny tiny. I can't believe we had gone so far! Our legs sure were feeling it though.
We got back to the car at 8:30 p.m. We hiked a total of 18 miles (because of our accidental 6 miles that morning). Phew..what a day!
The quote of the day was when Landon said.."I like hiking when i'm not actually hiking!" So true. It's one of those things that are enjoyable..but while you are doing it, you wonder why you chose to.
We agreed that the hike was like having a baby. After all the pain, you say you never want to do it again..but after that fades, you want to give it another go! It was an awesome day..free from all distractions. I think we'll do it again..someday.







2 comments:
Holy cow, Brit! You guys are rock stars.
Congratulations on finishing that amazing hike!!! 18 miles WOW! The scenery looked really beautiful.
Post a Comment