Wednesday, August 24, 2011

5.8 magnitude earthquake!

8.23.11
Yesterday we experienced our first earthquake! Here's our story:
At about 1:50 p.m. I had just got out of the shower, after working out, and was getting dressed...then it began. I stood there still thinking..it was some kind of construction or maybe a big truck causing the rumbling. I heard a high pitched squeal upstairs and then it registered and I thought...Oh crap! This is an earthquake... I ran upstairs to find Teegan running around the living room in a panic. I told him that it was an earthquake and told him to follow me upstairs because we needed to go get Camdyn and Max. I kept thinking...is this really happening? As we were half way up the stairs Camdyn was at her door screaming and we all went into the nursery and I scooped Max out of his crib. Rude awakening! {It was too bad..he had just fallen asleep too!} By the time we made it back downstairs the shaking had stopped. It had only lasted about 30 seconds..but it felt long in that moment. The kids calmed down immediately and I put Max in his swing where he fell right back to sleep.

Camdyn kept saying "That was a BIG storm."  
Teegan's response was, "It was a storm from outer space!" 

I wanted to go outside, but realizing I wasn't properly dressed decided to call my neighbor instead. We were both in total disbelief about what had just happened. I was so shaky and my heart was pounding. I am a slightly paranoid person as it is! It took me a little while to settle down. Sheesh! It really wasn't that big of a deal, but thinking about these 3 little kiddos that I have to protect...made it even more nerve racking! My neighbor knocked on my door to see how we were. She said the things on her walls were moving, I didn't even bother to look around. Our phones weren't working so Josh and I couldn't get through to each other, but he then borrowed someone else's. When I answered he asked, "Did you feel that?" "Uh Yeah!!"

Josh was obviously at school, working in the pedo clinic and he was assisting. They had a 11 year old girl in the chair and her mom was right there too. He said the overhead lights and the x-ray machine were all moving. They then went and stood in a doorway, waiting for the shaking to stop. One of the students got down on the floor in the fetal position. ha. (Better safe than sorry I guess). They got out early and were able to come home.

Apparently the epicenter was just 30 miles west of Richmond. It was widespread and felt all the way up in New York and down in Georgia. Crazy! We felt an aftershock at 8:00 p.m. last night. Thank goodness kids were sound asleep. We have been watching the news and people were freaking out and making a big deal out of it when there was seemingly very little damage.
This photo has been going around and when I saw it..I couldn't help but laugh!

It sure was an eye opening experience! Getting my 72 hr kits put together was my next big project. {I know shame on me for not having it done already.} I need to get my act together and be prepared. I couldn't sleep last night just thinking about it...especially with hurricane Irene on its way!

6 comments:

Alicia said...

Haha, love that picture! I'm so stealing it. :)

The Fox Family said...

fetal position! haha! Glad to know I'm the first on your list to call when there is an earthquake...you might want to reevaluate your list...i was a wreck! ;)

Ulrich Family said...

When we saw that on the news Scott was going to call you guys and see if you felt it. Glad to hear that you guys are ok and nothing too bad happened!

Brianne and Imari Molifua said...

I'll tell you what...it's a scary feeling getting a text from a friend asking if I heard about the earthquake in the Richmond Virginia area...eeks...So glad you are all okay:) I can't even imagine experiencing an earthquake, but cool for you guys that you get to say you have! And I am so glad that you ran to your kids and not away from them. Like when Brylee and Landon were just little and they would fall down the stairs and you would run in the opposite direction lol...glad to see you can handle scary situations now:) Love you guys, and glad your all okay!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about you guys yesterday when I heard. I'm glad you are okay and that you posted your experience with it. You should pin your picture :) Have a great weekend.
-The Behrends

Grandma and Papa said...

Wow! We were so relieved to hear all was well with everyone! What a great journal experience though. Your kids will love reading about it for years to come..."Remember when..." Guess it's a wake up call for lots of us.