Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Hiding out!

The morning of Memorial Day, we headed for home. I didn't check the weather like I normally do. I have become kind of obsessive about it now that we live in Texas in the spring time. We have had a ton of raining, flooding, and horrible storms. There was a tornado watch for a lot of central Texas that lasted until later in the evening. 

Tornado watch or not, we had to get home. Josh had work the next morning. He was confident during our travels, as he always is...and I was a ball of nerves, as I always am! I had my eyes in the sky and boy was there a lot of lightening! There were times it was raining so hard we could barely see the road. To make matters worse, we had no cell service for half of the two hour drive back. I was praying we would make it back safely. I had to put on my brave face for the nervous kids in the back.

We got home and the kids were upstairs playing as I was unpacking. Josh was tracking the storm as I looked out the window every 5 minutes..anticipating to see something coming. Yes...I am paranoid! 
Then we got this alert on our phone. A tornado warning definitely means take cover! We found our safe spot and Josh hollered for the kids to come downstairs. 
 Our laundry room is the center of our house..so we loaded some pillow, blankets, and even a card game. I was happy to know we were out of the car and at least in a safe spot...but Josh chose to stand out on the porch because he had to watch. We're new at this! The rain was completely horizontal and you couldn't even see past our yard. It was eerie! 
Apparently it touched down about 20 minutes from where we are and did very little damage. Phew!
 Snuggled up for a movie. 
 The calm after the storm. Texas sure has crazy weather. The skies are pretty cool. Someone in my ward took the photo above. 
 I talked to my neighbor later that evening, she claims that Austin is safe and this is rare. I sure hope so! 

No comments: