Friday, October 19, 2012

heaven help me

 I feel so grateful my kids are alive and happy..and all in one piece!
Sometimes I do dumb, irresponsible, forgetful things.

The other day for instance..Max took an earlier nap than usual so we had some time to kill and were out and about. As we were on our way home it hit me that it was an early release day, just like every Monday, and Teegan got home an hour earlier. I was sick to my stomach when I realized that his bus had dropped him off 20 minutes ago. I sped home and as I pulled into the driveway I saw his coat and backpack sitting in the yard...but no Teegan. 

I knew the doors were locked, so where would he go? We don't know many of our neighbors close by. I got that panicky feeling when I started thinking of worst case scenario!  Our neighborhood isn't the safest place imaginable. This was way worse than when he got lost on the bus a couple of months ago. After knocking on a couple of doors looking for a lost boy, I put Max in the stroller and I figured we would just start walking..who knows where. As we came around the corner Camdyn started jumping up and down cause she spotted him with the neighbors a couple of houses down. They were coming to find us. What a relief! He had clearly been crying. When we got home, I scooped him up and gave him hugs and kisses and asked for forgiveness. When he told me his version of the story I cried.

He said he waited and waited at the door and when he knew we were gone, he sat on the grass and cried. Then he remember he could say a prayer. He said...

"I asked Jesus to know what I should do and that mom would be home really soon." 

I was so proud he thought to pray. He acted kind of surprised that his prayer worked..and kept talking about it. This was his first real experience with prayer. I was so glad that it strengthened his sweet testimony, but still feel bad that it was so dramatic.

After his prayer, he thought he should go next door. When he realized they weren't home, he went back to the grass and cried some more. Then he made a plan B. He went to another neighbors home, there is a 4th grade boy that lives there that Teegan rides a bus with.  This single mom was so kind to let a little boy in who was clearly upset. I had only met her once, but am so grateful to her for being willing to help him. This was the first time I had forgotten a child and unfortunately, i'm sure it won't be the last.


While on the topic of Teegan..he has said some funny things lately. I had wondered when the day would come that he realized what a shorty he is. He has made friends with the tallest kid in class. They are quite the combo. One day he said...
"Mom I'm tired of being short in my life!" I told him that someday he will grow really fast and might catch up to Uncle Landon. He said.."Yeah but I will have to wait like 5 birthdays..
maybe when I go to college I will look down on you!" I'm sure you will Teeg. :)

We also had Parent Teacher Conferences a couple weeks ago. When the teacher asked him something he thinks he's good at he said, "Eating healthy stuff" (He's only allowed to have chocolate milk on Fridays..but claims he's given it up altogether.) We laughed..the teacher said she doesn't usually hear that response. Then she asked if there is anything he thinks he needs to improve on. He said.."Ummm...no not really." Confident kid. He's become quite the reader. 

4 comments:

Fisher Family said...

That is so scary but we have all forgotten about that short day so don't beat yourself up over it. So glad it all ended well:)Congrats to Camdyn on riding a two wheeler!

Wade H. said...

Oh, poor buddy! It's good our kids are so quick to forgive us. My mom did that more than once and I survived. ::wink:: Don't beat yourself up about it. Miss you!

Wade H. said...

Whoops, this is Alicia.

Kristin said...

One day last year when Jayla was in Kindergarten I was surprised to open the door and find her standing there when I thought she should have been at school. Umm, it was a short day and I had forgotten and luckily my lovely neighbor noticed when she picked up her son and brought her home as well. I cried and felt horrible, too. So now I put alerts on my phone to remind me to pick up my kids on time. How sweet of Teegan to pray. You're a good mama to teach him that principle.