9.19.12
Funerals are bitter sweet..but mostly sweet. They are a celebration of life and a reminder that there is life after we leave..to a happier place, especially for my uncle Brent Hirschi (my dad's brother). He passed away at the age of 63. He had lived longer than doctors had anticipated. He was physically and mentally handicapped.
It was such a beautiful day and we were so happy to be a part of it.
It was so wonderful to see extended family that Josh and I hadn't seen in years.
The funeral was held in Bountiful, Utah. My aunt gave a very touching talk. There were details to it that I want to remember. She shared each siblings favorite memory of him. We laughed and cried. A lot of them I had never heard. My dad's story was...them getting into arguments when they were young. Dad said Brent was so easy to tease...but after going on for a while, Brent would look up and then say, "Well at least i'm going to the highest kingdom!" There was nothing my dad could say that would possibly top that! ;)
My uncle Mark's story was funny too. Before proposing to my aunt he bought the ring, put it in a cracker jack box, and carefully closed it..so it looked unopened. He left it on his dresser. Later when he went back for it..there was a trail of popcorn and when he got to his room there was Brent with crumbs all over him. Ha! At the time Mark was upset, but now grateful he has that memory of him.
In the talk..my aunt also mentioned how Brent loved his movies...especially The Sound of Music. She read over the lyrics of 'These are a few of my Favorite Things'...
"When the dog bites, when the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember
my favorite things
and then I don't feel so bad!"
Grandpa and grandma were his very favorite things! They were so dedicated to Brent his entire life. They took care of him as long as they could, but it got difficult as they got older. He has lived in an assisted living home with others in his same situation..for a few years now. They still spent more time with him than I realized. They would visit, get him dressed, bring him different things, and play Yahtzee with him. Not just any normal Yahtzee game, but one that would last an hour or so because Brent would kiss the dice every time and then shake them forever.
Picturing this in my mind brings tears to my eyes. This is just the kind of parents/grandparents they are. I'm sure there were plenty of other things they wanted to do..but instead they sat there to play a game with their grown son, who may or may not even remember it the next week. To them it was important. Makes me think of the time I spend with my kids. Why do I feel so rushed when i'm playing a silly little game with my kids? There isn't anything more important I should be doing.
After the funeral, we went to grandma & grandpa's house for lunch and then went to Tremonton for the burial. We had a good discussion with the kids in the car on the way. I think it was a good experience for them, so we could talk about what happens to us after we die.
Grandpa gave the dedicatory prayer. Instead of saying Brent's name, he said dad's name. It sure got all of our attention! Afterwards..dad said he could go. He's lived a good life. :) Not ready for that dad! We had a good laugh about it. Grandpa did warn us that he has a hard time remembering his own name some days.
Special story about Brent..
Years ago, there was an artist who had a photographer take photos of a man who portrayed Christ among many dressed up as the sick and afflicted. Brent was fortunate to be invited to be a part of this. When got to meet the this man dressed up..he looked up at him with surprise and said, "Jesus Christ!" He then said very sincerely, "heal me Jesus". I don't know if Brent could fully understand this was just a look alike. My aunts Renee & Karen were there with him..and they said they couldn't help but get emotional along with this man portraying Christ. What a sweet spirit Brent has. The day will come when he will be healed.
Mark, Debbie, Shauna, Dad, Karen, Renee, grandma & grandpa
Grandpa felt the need to interview some of his grandkids..just making sure they were happy and on track.
My very favorite photo of the day. So glad Josh snapped this as they were walking away.
I'm so grateful our families are eternal. Farewell Brent. We love you and we'll see you again some day.




3 comments:
I have been waiting for this post. What a wonderful summary of everything. Weren't we so blessed to have Brent as an uncle? We truly are a better family because of him. You captured the day so beautifully with the pictures. It really was a day of happiness.
Can I just copy your post and put it on my blog? Jk, but you really did say it all so perfectly, and thank you for capturing such great moments on camera. It really was such a great day...We are so lucky to have known Brent and to have the gospel in our lives!
Thanks for sharing, Brit
Post a Comment