May 24-25th:
Goodbyes aren't easy!
I felt like I had a dark cloud hanging over me for the whole month of May..dreading what was to come.
I was sad to say goodbye to the girls at the gym who had taken care of my kids the last couple of years. It was even hard going to our local grocery store for the last time..seeing the ladies in the bakery that gave my kids free cookies.
I miss broad street, the crazy rain storms, the trees, our frequent date nights, the Byrd theater, homestead creamery ice cream. I miss our amazing ward, Deep Run park, Chelsea Square and more than anything our friends that have become like family. {Before we left Josh even mentioned that he will miss the birds..ok.}
It's weird to think back to our first few days in our new home in Virginia and how much we've changed and grown since. This has been such an amazing adventure. The past four years have flown by. I don't know if i'll ever stop missing this phase of our lives. I'm sure we will always look back and reminisce our dental school days.
Buried in boxes. I hate packing!
Teegan and Camdyn wanted to help. They both packed one box of their own. Max just wanted to help by digging into what I had already packed. He's into everything.
(Teegan also wanted to help carry everything out to the moving truck..even the things that were way too heavy..which led to hurt feelings. Glad he wants to be so helpful.)

The happy helpers...
Teegan and Camdyn wanted to help. They both packed one box of their own. Max just wanted to help by digging into what I had already packed. He's into everything.
(Teegan also wanted to help carry everything out to the moving truck..even the things that were way too heavy..which led to hurt feelings. Glad he wants to be so helpful.)

The happy helpers...
A couple nights before moving..the fireflies decided to make an appearance. Thank you little critters!
The kids were thrilled..i was too. Camdyn caught one in her hand and was surprised when it started glowing.

Love these girls! We've been through a lot together.
We've shared a lot of laughs, and some crying too. We've supported one another and helped out when needed. We've watched families grow.
I'm will forever be grateful for these friendships.
A couple of the girls threw a bbq for us 4th years the night before we left. It was so sweet..we hadn't had a real meal in a few days. You know how packing and cleaning goes.
We said our goodbyes...
I was pretty emotional of course. I was bathing Max and sobbing. Josh was telling me we would probably see some of them soon. Shortly after the doorbell rings..and there are Hutchisons..asking if they could bath Charlie which led to a sleepover on the air mattresses. I couldn't think of a better way to spend our last night together here.
The nerds on their ipads. These boys are two of a kind.I was pretty emotional of course. I was bathing Max and sobbing. Josh was telling me we would probably see some of them soon. Shortly after the doorbell rings..and there are Hutchisons..asking if they could bath Charlie which led to a sleepover on the air mattresses. I couldn't think of a better way to spend our last night together here.
It's strange to think Camdyn has lived her whole (short) life in Richmond.

Camdyn, Max, and I flew to Salt Lake..while Josh & Teegan drove the moving truck. Josh's brother, Steven, was so kind to fly in and make the journey with them..driving our car. Thank goodness for walky talkys.
When our flight took off Camdyn said goodbye..naming each of her friends and then said..''and bye crazy Doug!" It made me laugh and cry at the same time. People were probably wondering what in the world was wrong with me. The boys left on Sunday after church. I will never forget the phone call I got from Josh as he was pulling out. It broke my heart. He didn't think it would be so hard. Their travels went well and Teegan loved the road trip. Apparently he was the one that wanted to keep going at the end of the day. He was happy to stay in the hotels..and he cheered every time they crossed a state line.
So..fast forward to 2 months later. We are unpacked and settled into our new home here in Pocatello, Idaho. This place has taken some time to grow on me. Yesterday I watched our neighbor shave his face using the back of a cd as a mirror..and that's just the least of it! It's not a good sign when your husband researches the price of tasers and pepper spray..and I feel the need to put the police departments phone number in my phone..just in case. Josh is loving the residency so that makes it all worth it. He's busier than we expected. Things are gradually getting better. I have to admit there were a couple of times when I closed my eyes..i visualized us being in Richmond..walking through my home that i miss. Seeing my kids playing there. Walking through my safe neighborhood and seeing my friends. Seriously..do I need therapy?!
Josh found a talk given by Elder Holland at a BYU devotional called, 'Remember Lot's Wife'. It was just what both of us needed. It was the perfect talk for people experiencing change he said...
"I plead with you not to dwell on days now gone, nor to yearn vainly for yesterday however good those yesterdays may have been. The past is to be learned from but not lived in..And when we have learned what we need to learn and have brought with us the best that we experienced, then we look ahead, we remember that faith is always pointed toward the future."
So that's it. I've stopped mourning the past. What good does it do? I have faith that there are good things in store for the future. I have been blessed with my sweet little family and they make me very happy no matter where we are.





6 comments:
Oh my gosh you made me tear up for you. I agree change is so hard, especially when you guys had such a great time in Virginia. I am so sorry to hear about the crazy neighbor in Pocatello. Grandma Miles was telling us about it and I felt so bad, blah. Hopefully now that you live closer we can see you more than once every year or two. Atleast you are closer to family. I bet your parents are so happy to have their cute grandkids close by. Wish we could have seen you over the 4th of July. We will have to get together real soon.
You guys are so awesome! I love the quote. I am so sorry about your neighbors. Just think, in a few years Josh will be pulling in the big bucks and even Chelsea Square will seem dingy.
Brittney I can totally relate to you. I cry at every move. Especially this last one. I loved our house in Brigham! Including our neighbors, ward, and being close to family. We moved back to Salt Lake County for Daniel's job into a house that's falling apart. Thank goodness it's only temporary before we buy our own in a couple of weeks. Anyway, it's totally normal to feel this way or maybe it's a family thing...anyway I'm glad to have you closer. It just makes me feel better :)
You should know that you are DEF missed and Chelsea just isn't the same without you...there hasn't been any fun since you left:). This post made me cry!! I know that Richmond and the people we have met here will always hold a very special place in our hearts! BUT I know that you guys have awesome times ahead of you and that although ID is different....there will be great memories made there and great times will be had..we miss you!
If you need therapy so do I! Reading your post I kept thinking thats how I feel, and feeling so sad that you had to say good-bye.
It is hard, but you can do hard things!!! We are thinking of you guys and excited for the new beginnings ahead of you!!
Way to make me cry...2 months later. And, they give FREE Cookies at the grocery store here? Which one? Why haven't you told me sooner! ;) Miss you!
Post a Comment