Monday, May 30, 2011

Sherando Lake

{May 21-22nd}
Josh had a lovely 2 week break from school. It was so wonderful to have him home with us everyday. We were very lazy & did a lot of relaxing. We went on a couple of family outings to the park & had a silly string fight in the backyard. (Teegan's idea :)
Our friends, the Shafer's tempted us by inviting us along on a camping trip up by the Blue Ridge mountains...which was gorgeous. We were back & forth about whether to go or not..knowing it would be a quick trip but decided to go.

It was after all our last family trip as a family of four!
The boys setting up camp:
Camping at 8 months pregnant wasn't too bad. My only requirement was to have a bathroom near by...because out here in "bear territory" I didn't want to be out by myself at night hiking to the restroom!
We made the traditional yet delicious tin foil dinners and then went for a walk to explore. The boys had fun skipping rocks at the lake.
And of course smore's were involved. The best part about camping!
Our strategy was to keep the kids up late, wait til they were good and tired & then put them down. They were thrilled to lay down in the tent...or as Camdyn kept calling it the "net". They were worn out & fell asleep quickly! 
So in the meantime we sat around the campfire beginning to talk about some games to play when we hear thunder. oh no! Camdyn is petrified of thunder. Thank goodness she was already asleep. So instead of playing..we quickly packed up all the things on the table & said good night.

The storm hit & we kept peeking out with our flashlights to see a sheet of water.  We noticed the water pooling up on one corner of the tent, so Josh had to run out and tie things down again. He was soaked! It was extremely loud and I couldn't help but feel slightly nervous, even though it was kind of exciting. Josh & I were thinking of the "what if's". What if I did go into labor in the middle of the night..what the heck would we do?! 
Fortunately that didn't happen and the kids slept through the night. 
This was a great test to see what a tent could protect us from..and there was only a tiny puddle by the door. Sweet!

Sherando Lake is quite the site to see...
Camdyn & Teegan with little Addy..
The creature lover found a little friend...a newt possibly?
Her favorite past time. :)

5 comments:

Hilarie* said...

Hey what a fun trip. I didn't know you were preggo! Congrats! Can't wait to see baby picts. Good luck on the delivery!

Jackie said...

Such a fun trip!

You guys were such good sports to go last minute, such happy campers--both while we were there AND when we were leaving. :)

Matt and Ness said...

So glad we found your blog:)
What a brave woman you are to camp with a baby almost here!

K. Bitton said...

FUN! I am completely impressed with how much fun stuff you guys do. I want to move close to you so we can join in on the fun:) You look great and I can't wait to see what you're having and how beautiful your precious babe will be. We totally miss you guys and hope we can see you next time your out west. Love ya and if we don't hear until after you have your baby, good luck!!

Kristin said...

I'm glad that you have better luck camping now than you did when you were a kid. We went to Kristi's baby shower yesterday and I believe you're due around the same time. Can't wait to see pictures of the little one!