Sunday, February 10, 2008

Rexburg Temple Dedication

Today President Monson, Elder Nelson, Elder Bednar, and Elder Costa came to participate in and perform the dedication of the Rexburg Temple. The dedication happened one week later than planned due to the passing of President Hinckley. Even though his presence was greatly missed, the occasion was still one filled with enthusiasm and excitement.

Elder Bednar spoke for a few minutes about the simplicity of the Plan of Salvation. He related a story about his experience while giving a tour of the temple to a group of various religious leaders. He talked with them about what he called "the great dilemma." He asked them that since Jesus Christ is the Savior of all mankind, and that we must believe in him to be saved, then what happens to the vast majority that have never heard of him through the generations? A question, that Elder Bednar said, his five-year old granddaughter could answer, but that many others could not. I think sometimes I take this simplicity for granted. I may think to myself, "Oh, I don't know that I can talk to this person about the gospel because they just won't understand," or how about this one, "I'm still trying to figure out so much about the gospel myself, so how can I possibly tell them when I don't know all the details?" What a great reminder today that the gospel is that we lived with our Father in Heaven before we were born, the earth was created for us and we are here to be tested and live by faith, we demonstrate that faith by repenting and obeying the commandments which includes receiving the necessary ordinances, and then we continue faithful. It reminded me of a scripture that encompasses this thought.

Speaking of the gathering of Israel to his brothers, Nephi said, "...and then shall they know and come to the knowledge of their forefathers, and also to the knowledge of the gospel of their Redeemer...they shall come to the knowledge of their Redeemer and the very points of his doctrine, that they may know how to come unto him and be saved" (1 Nephi 15:14, emphasis added).

Many people believe in Christ, but do they know his doctrine and understand how to come to him? I believe that sharing the simple and plain truth of the Plan of Salvation can open up worlds to someone who is wondering how.

I hope I can do better at sharing the message of the gospel.




2 comments:

Shelley said...

BRITTANY!! Yay! You're blogging!!! :) I'm so excited. Check out ours too! It's bradandshelley.blogspot.com.
So your belly,..ADORABLE. When are you due again? I was thinking about you earlier this week. I miss you!

Anonymous said...

miles family.it's the bevans family. how fun to find your blog. saw it on kayci and jeff's. the names looked familiar so i took a look. we wished so bad we could have been to the temple dedication. oh, well. we are going to rexburg in april so we are planning on attending the temple. check out our blog www.rbevansfamily.blogspot.com
we keep it pretty updated.
rustin kristyn and madi