Monday, February 18, 2013

pictures, parties, and parting ways...

2.3.13
When we were in Island Park last month, we decided it would be a good time to take some family photos while we were altogether. We look happy..but oh man, that cold stings! We had to run back inside the cabin for little breaks before running back out.

We sent Landon inside for this photo...
this was the cover for a book I made for him. We each wrote letters with advice and our favorite scriptures.
I realize that a lot of my recent posts have been about Landon, but for very good reason. I want to document it all! 
Unfortunately his last week at home, he got tonsillitis. Boo! We still had big plans for the weekend and he was a good sport. Mom and dad treated the family to dinner..where we enjoyed watching a couple.. out the window, trying to get a cat out of a nearby tree. It made for good entertainment! 
Teegan always orders a cheeseburger..they are his favorite! He was feeling pretty cool when they brought him back a burger the size of his head. :) 
That night we went home, ate some goodies, snuggled up on the couch, and watched home videos. Videos of cute baby Landon..ya know because we like to torture ourselves! 

Superbowl Party...
mom sure knows how to go all out for the game food. 
We were dreading the game coming to an end, because we were heading home..and that meant saying good bye to this guy for two years. I've said bye to him many times before...but this was different. It really was bittersweet. We will surely miss him and it will feel so strange to go home and for him not to be there, but we are thrilled for him to have this experience. Landon often wondered why he didn't get to leave for the MTC shortly after getting his call..he had to wait four months. The selfish part of me is so grateful that he had to wait..for whatever reason it may be, because we got to have more time with him. I am so happy that this year we were close to home and we spent a lot of time with him. 
We had 8 wonderful months with him!! I loved it. 

We are a family of criers...but I don't think i've ever seen Landon cry before this. When Teegan hugged him, he didn't let go. His uncle Landon is a hero in his eyes. He has told me he wants to be funny and tall like him, when he is older. I am so grateful for the example Landon is to my boys. I know that Teegan will ask millions of questions about missionaries and I look forward to these conversations. We will all be more missionary minded. Since Elder Hirschi has left, Teegan has come home with a letter in a special made envelope almost every day which he writes during his "free time". He will surely be a loyal pen pal!

Sidenote: Mom was getting his things ready and packing him up and they are asked to label everything. So as she was embroidering his name on his pillowcases he requested that she use pink thread. This is surprising because he is such a boy. He said that he wanted pink in honor of his four sisters! 
Oh the thought of that pink thread just makes me miss him more. He is too sweet! 
Artwork by Teegan
(Those are scriptures in his hand..) 
My mom sent us this picture the other day that a friend from their ward took.
Two thoughts came to mind...
1. Holy crowded...why is everyone so squished?! :)
2. I'm so happy and relieved to see that smile. He is adjusting well and leaves for Canada this week. 
It's a good thing the church is true....it makes being away from loved ones soo worth it! 

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I heard that when Landon stopped at grandma's he threw up. Poor guy. And then your dad texted my dad twice the day after. My dad said he's never gotten a text from Val before. He just asked my dad if it was this hard for him and he couldn't believe my dad did it three times. You'll always miss him but it gets easier and doesn't hurt so much. Especially when he'll write home with awesome experiences and stories. I bet those home movies you watched were a laugh. Landon has always been a character. One embarassing story of him his that he had the first blowout diaper that I ever had to change. It was awful! It was all up his back and in his clotehs. I'm pretty sure I didn't do a good job of cleaning it up. Haha!